Re: "Archived-At" headers

2014-03-08 08:44:51
Hi Björn, Dale,

On 2014-03-07 23:02 Bjoern Hoehrmann said the following:
* Dale R. Worley wrote:
I've noticed that recently messages to the Ietf mailing list have been
sprouting "Archived-At" headers.  This seems to be a great
convenience.  But when I attempted to use one of these links,
http://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/ietf/rvA1yLD7Ds2BAxWYv3iN1ONAxJs
it turned out not to be what I expected -- it contained the message,
but none of the threading that I've learned to love in IETF mail
archives.

Right.  However, updating the single-message view is on the to-do list.

Which is all rather odd, since there *is* a URL that goes to the
"real" archive, and does give access to the threading:
http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ietf/current/msg86465.html
Why is that URL not put into the Archived-At header?

2 reasons:

  * That URL goes to the old archives, not to the new archives
    at mailarchive.ietf.org.  We're aiming at phasing out the old
    archives once it's been established that the new service is
    solid.

  * That url will break if for some reason the archive pages have to
    be re-generated due to later inclusion of list messages which didn't
    originally make it into the archive for one reason or another.  It's
    happened a few times, and the way MHonArc generates the web pages
    guarantees breakage if a dropped message has to be added.  This is not
    the case with the current Archived-At headers, which use a hash generated
    by hashing Message-ID and list acronym, and is independent of any particular
    sequence or ordering of messages in the list archive.

Though to put the shoe on the other foot, I notice that the *former*
archive will show me the full headers of the message if I want, but
the latter archive won't.

Yes.  The latter (the old MHonArc archive) only includes some selected
headers in what's made available in the web page; one of many deficiencies
the new archive software aim to fix.

I assume there are some technical reasons, Henrik Levkowetz (copied)
might be able to comment.

I hope the information above helps.

Best regards,

        Henrik