Re: Overlays and encapsulations (was Re: Engineering discussions )

2014-03-09 17:14:53
Eric,

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 6:02 PM, Eric Gray
<eric(_dot_)gray(_at_)ericsson(_dot_)com> wrote:

 Alia,

                I assume that this is a change of subject in part to
demonstrate that we

can in fact have a technical discussion on this list.  J

                But the question is a reasonable example whether that is
the case or not.

It's something that struck me as being interesting to discuss and having
general appeal and
benefiting from the perspective of many areas.  :-)

                IMO, two of the biggest drivers for this work in the IETF
are location and

identity separation, and converged networking.

                Just as examples, the work being looked into in NVo3 is
one example of

one aspect of the first case (where end-user or server application
locations are

being separated from specific network entry points or physical servers
accessible

using IP addresses, for example) and both PWE3 and L2VPN are two currently

active examples of the second case (where - for instance - Ethernet
traffic is to

be carried over an IP network).

Yes, I agree that identity separation is a driver.   I'm not as persuaded
that converged
networking is driving new overlays and encapsulations - just b/c
pseudo-wires have been
around for about 10 years.

                 I think the problems these examples are solving are
self-evident.  That

may not be true for other cases.

I'm, of course, more interested in whether there are common drivers and
whether all the
solutions need to be point solutions or are more generalizable.

Alia

--

Eric