Re: Overlays and encapsulations (was Re: Engineering discussions )

2014-03-09 18:29:58

On 03/09/2014 05:32 PM, Alia Atlas wrote:
Hi Brian,

On Sun, Mar 9, 2014 at 6:08 PM, Brian Trammell <ietf(_at_)trammell(_dot_)ch <mailto:ietf(_at_)trammell(_dot_)ch>> wrote:

    On 09 Mar 2014, at 22:33, Alia Atlas <akatlas(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
    <mailto:akatlas(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>> wrote:

    > In the last few years, there seems to be a drive towards
    overlays and additional
    > packet encapsulations.  What problems do you see these as
    solving?  Is there a
    > more focused way to consider the drivers and downsides?
    >
    > Thoughts?

    Oh. Could we have an easier one to start with? Especially on the
    Sunday after an IETF? Because my response to this one right now
    would be to say lots of terribly unkind things about dodgy
    middleboxes, which is not a very balanced approach to the issue
    and unlikely to be very helpful in steering the list toward more
    productive conversation. But let me try.

Oh, but this is exactly the type of Sunday-after-IETF discussion when one can think about big picture wide-ranging ideas without needing to think about the practical implications for a while!

Speaking as someone who hasn't been at home for the airport 24 hours yet, I might have characterized this as "without remembering all the reasons why this is hard, because we wouldn't be able to remember much of anything before Wednesday-ish" :p

Spencer