Re: Overlays and encapsulations (was Re: Engineering discussions )

2014-03-09 17:08:58
On 09 Mar 2014, at 22:33, Alia Atlas <akatlas(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

In the last few years, there seems to be a drive towards overlays and
additional
packet encapsulations.  What problems do you see these as solving?  Is there a
more focused way to consider the drivers and downsides?

Thoughts?

Oh. Could we have an easier one to start with? Especially on the Sunday after
an IETF? Because my response to this one right now would be to say lots of
terribly unkind things about dodgy middleboxes, which is not a very balanced
approach to the issue and unlikely to be very helpful in steering the list
toward more productive conversation. But let me try.

It's hard to say anything in general about what "overlay x on y" solves in
detail (I'll consider encapsulation an implementation detail of overlay for
now) for all x and y, other than (1) somebody thought that it would provide a
service that y doesn't on its own that (2) they locally thought they needed at
the time, and (3) they might actually have been right about (1) and (2).

The upside is that overlaying allows us to use the abstractions from the higher
layer of the overlay when all we have is the lower layer.

The downside is that x over y might not really be the same as x, because you
miss some assumption inherent in either x or y about the corresponding y or x,
and you end up breaking something end-to-end. This gets more complicated when
years later, after all the bugs are worked out, somebody notices the shiny new
x and decides to overlay z on top of it.

I don't see a more focused way to consider this at this (ridiculously high)
level of abstraction. A good general considering-the-downsides question might
be "how well can I run NNTP, SSH, DNS, World of Warcraft, BitTorrent, Windows
file sharing, and WebRTC over it at the same time in an airplane at rush hour
on Mars next to my microwave while randomly unplugging stuff?"

Admittedly this is a rather higher-layer viewpoint. On preview, I suspect you
might get a more useful (and more concrete) thread out of Eric's response.

Cheers,

Brian