Re: how do we make the IETF working language work?

2014-03-12 05:09:23
On 03/11/2014 06:32 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Mar 11, 2014, at 1:21 PM, joel jaeggli <joelja(_at_)bogus(_dot_)com> wrote:
I'm not sure what you mean, there are two people merging commits to that
branch.

The way to find out what I mean is to try change tracking in MS Word.
Otherwise I probably sound like a lunatic talking about "horseless carriages"
or something... :)

Personally, I find that MS Word change tracking only works well when
collaborating between two writers, and those two must follow 'the rules'
to the letter (of course, to various degrees, this probably goes for
everything). Any more and it quickly breaks down.

With a background of a developer, diff tools (source diff, meld, etc)
come much more naturally to me, and the direction I'd look in would be
something that integrates the rfcdiff tool into our normal workflow.

I won't suggest moving to github for all draft editing, but they do
handle pull requests (or, for non-git users: change suggestions)
extremely well, IMHO. For some file types they even provide custom
previews and diffs; it's is now possible to see STL previews (3d
objects), and the difference between two stl version on github itself.
Perhaps we should see if we can get something similar for RFCs.

And/or extend the rfctools to fit actual editing workflows (and easy
local use).

Jelte