Re: IAOC Seeks Community Input on IETF Website Revamp SOW

2014-03-17 11:58:45
On Mar 17, 2014, at 12:12 PM, Eric Burger
<eburger-l(_at_)standardstrack(_dot_)com> wrote:
Agreed. We don't need flashy(tm) stuff. We need easy to access and find
stuff. Mobile sites are really easy if the site itself is simple, compact,
and NOT using the proprietary flavor of the month for fancy display.

While we certainly don't need a web site that doesn't continue to fill the
needs of its existing community, it's worth asking if "we" really means what
various people who have weighed in on this think it means.   What is the target
audience for the web site?   Is it IETF attendees?   The press?   People who
use our protocol specifications?   The open source community?   Young geeks
learning about networking?   Governments?   Other standards bodies?

Nearly 100% of the time when I go to the IETF web site it's to look up when the
next meeting is, or when a previous meeting was.   Everything else I tend to
access through the datatracker.   Am I a typical user?   Are you a typical user?

I don't know what the answer to these questions is, but I suspect that if you
look at this effort strictly from the perspective of "what would work for me,"
you probably are narrowing the scope way too much to be useful.