Re: What I've been wondering about the DMARC problem

2014-04-16 01:59:15
On 15 Apr 2014, at 21:38, Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
The mailman fix is worse than the disease. I think the .INVALID fix is
much better, because Reply-all will still work.

Reply-all should still work with the Mailman fix; reply-to contains member (or
member and list, for the reply-to-list case) and To/CC are included by MUA as
usual.  It's "Reply" that's broken, and in the reply-to-list case: if the
sender's address is discarded then the recipient can't use it, and if it's
included then the sender has to manually manipulate the recipients in the
composer window just to reply to the sender only after hitting Reply.

I really have little issue with the Mailman fix as it currently stands.  It's
borked, but it works.  My lists are mostly of the chatty reply-to-list variety
anyway.  The display name isn't touched; lots of users won't even notice …

Apparently Mailman 3 will do this properly, implementing support for DMARC by
rejection and not tampering. http://j.mp/1m6N5Jt
Perhaps someone should point them to this discussion, or advise on the
rewrite-to-invalid hack (which BTW has shortcomings of its own, especially for
users of touchscreen devices …).

Cheers,
Sabahattin