Re: What I've been wondering about the DMARC problem

2014-04-17 15:53:57
On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 08:06:35AM +1200, Brian E Carpenter wrote:

The Reply-To: field is adjusted to be the author's address,

Oh, OK. Most UAs will probably do what you describe, but I think
there are exceptions. However, if I want to reply to the author
alone, it's now the simple Reply that will fail me, because it
will reply to the list. And in my mail folders, messages will
all appear to come from the list; if I want to find the message
that Sabahattin sent me two years ago, I can't, because my UA
doesn't allow for searching on the Reply-To field.

It's still got very poor semantics.

It's all about semantics, isn't?

Suppose we made the mailing list software take the contents of the
From field, and moved it to something like "X-Originally-From: ", and
changed the From field to be "ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org".  That would be what the
DMARC people would want, right?

Except then, a couple of years later, because users might actually
want to find the message that was written by "Brian Carpenter", or
"Sabahattin Gucukoglu", and not from "ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org", MUA's might
start using the Originally-From field in the summary field, and start
emphasizing the "Originally-From" from field in the UI.  At which
point, the spammer/scammer/whatever could start forging the the
"Originally-From" field, and then Lo!  There will be a DMARC II,
demanding that "Originally-From" field be aligned with the From field,
and we're right back to where we started.

It was the same argument about why a DKIM or DMARC couldn't just
verify the Sender field, and call it a day.  The problem is that the
From field is what people pay attention to.

And this is true of whatever solution we want to better support
mailing lists.  Suppose the answer is to rewrite the from field to
something like this: