Re: (DMARC) We've been here before, was Why mailing lists

2014-04-18 15:29:12
On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 01:15:04PM -0700, Murray S. Kucherawy wrote:
On Fri, Apr 18, 2014 at 12:07 PM, Theodore Ts'o <tytso(_at_)mit(_dot_)edu>
wrote:

And I'd suggest that if MUA's do evolve in that manner, maybe it's a
hint that the problem which the DMARC cheerleaders tried to sweep away
as "not a problem" really *is* a problem that users really care about.
And I would hope that in the future, they don't once again try to do
something that only meets their own parochial interests, and ignores
everyone elses' concerns.

There are some rather broad brush strokes here, and I'm running out of
steam trying to keep the record straight.  I'll try once more:

As John and others have already said, DMARC works fine for specific use
cases.  It's already been in use by other large operators like Bank of
America, PayPal, Facebook, and others for quite some time, with no visible
impact.  The results for them have been very positive.  Google also has it
turned on part-way for the domain their employees use.

The difference here is that Yahoo has users that send mail where those
others do not.

This sounds like the, "Once the rockets go up, who cares *where* they
come down; it's not my department, says Werner von Braun" defense.

Like it or not, the (mis)-application of DMARC has caused some
significant pain for some parts of the Internet.  Maybe *you* don't
care about it, but some of us have to deal with the distruction that
yahoo.com has wrought.

                                                - Ted