Re: (DMARC) We've been here before, was Why mailing lists

2014-04-18 10:21:26
On Thu, Apr 17, 2014 at 3:16 PM, Michael Richardson
<mcr+ietf(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>wrote:

So, the bug is that Yahoo/DMARC/ are authenticating the From:, when it
should
really be authenticating the Sender:. DMARC should key it's policy from
Sender: rather than From, and if it did that then:
  1) we could leave the From: intact, which is what's good for the end
     users.
  2) the list would change the Sender:, which is what we would establish
     the reputation of the list, not the From:
  3) MUAs would compare the From: and Sender:, and if they differed,
     could say useful things like:

     "From: Mrex(_at_)sap(_dot_)com via ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org".

(I was also wondering this morning on my commute if a layer of
message/rfc822
added by the mailing list might be a useful interim hack)

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-kucherawy-dmarc-base-04#section-15.1

One of the key points about DMARC's design is that it's concerned
specifically with From:.  The reason is that the content of From: is what's
typically shown to the recipient by MUAs.  If DMARC keyed off Sender:
instead, then this would work:

MAIL FROM: haha(_at_)badguy(_dot_)example(_dot_)com