Re: Author disclosures and conflict of interest

2014-04-25 16:29:44
So, in the IETF this is intended to be at least partially addressed by participants making known their name and affiliations, when they talk at the mic, author's affiliations are included in documents, etc... Participation in the IETF is not suppose to be anonymous, even though that side of this discussion comes up from time to time as well.

I think this works for the most part, most of the time. When you introduce yourself as John Doe, Mega Network Vendor, or David Farmer, University of Minnesota, that gives you some clue of the interests being represented to one extent or another. However there is a bit of problem comes with Joe Shmoe, Nonsense-word Consultants, what or who's interests is Joe representing is frequently not obvious.

I'll also note that some authors cover part of this issue in the acknowledgments section, especially in the case of funded research, by acknowledging and disclosing that funding.

Another side of the discussion, what kind of barrier to participation would formal disclosure requirements for authors create? This is just as much a concern as what biased or agenda an author may have.

I personally appreciate you raising the question, but as with most ethical questions, there isn't an easy answer one way or the other. I fear formal author disclosure requirements are likely to be onerous, and create a barrier to participation. Because of the consensus basis of the IETF processes, easy and open participation is equally important as disclosure of conflicts of interest.

I think the best we can do is encourage everyone to voluntarily disclose the interests they represent and for authors in particular to acknowledge non-obvious interests they may be representing; being any interests that are not be obvious from their stated affiliation.

Thanks

On 4/25/14, 12:40 , Lawrence Rosen wrote:
Mike Hammer asked:

 > The nice thing about codes of ethics is that there are so many to
choose from.

 > Which one are we supposed to be looking at?

This one from /Science Magazine
<http://www.sciencemag.org/site/feature/contribinfo/prep/coi.xhtml> /is
the one I suggested in my initial email in this thread:

    Authorship Form and Conflict-of-Interest Statement

To meet its responsibility to readers and to the public to provide clear
and unbiased scientific results and analyses,/Science/believes that
manuscripts (including Brevia, Essays, Perspectives, Policy Forums,
Reports, Research Articles, Reviews, and Viewpoints) should be
accompanied by clear disclosures from all authors of the nature and
level of their contribution to the article, their understanding
regarding the obligation to share data and materials, and any
affiliations, funding sources, or financial holdings that might raise
questions about possible sources of bias. Before manuscript acceptance,
therefore, authors will be asked to sign an
authorship/conflict-of-interest form. Specific information will be sent
to most authors at the time of manuscript revision.

Authorship Form and Statement of Conflicts of Interest
<http://www.sciencemag.org/site/feature/contribinfo/prep/coi.pdf>[PDF]

As you say, there are others….

/Larry