Re: Call for volunteers for C/C++ API liaison manager

2014-05-02 07:53:28
On May 2, 2014, at 3:32 AM, Stephane Bortzmeyer <bortzmeyer(_at_)nic(_dot_)fr>
wrote:
In my experience, so called "high-level" API are not high-level at
all, they always assume a specific programming style, typically the
one of the language the author prefers.

The point is not to describe in detail the entry points to an API, but rather
to describe the minimum functionality that an API should provide in order to
allow the language and programs written in it to fully exploit the protocol.
In MIF we talk about the low-level API and the high-level API; the low-level
API is just a list of functions the API has to provide; the high-level API is
built on that, and is likely language-specific.   You can't build the
language-specific API from just the abstract low-level API—you need to
understand the locking/threading behavior of your language, and the memory
allocation strategy, and so on.