Re: Webmail is implementation, not Internet architecture (was Re: Change the mailing list protocol, not DMARC.)

2014-06-14 10:31:03
On Sat 14/Jun/2014 09:14:51 +0200 Dave Crocker wrote:
On 6/12/2014 6:33 PM, Phillip Hallam-Baker wrote:
On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM, John C Klensin
<john-ietf(_at_)jck(_dot_)com
    (2) One of those changes --support for remote body parts-- was
    incorporated into MIME in its very first version and contains
    most of the mechanism needed to support what I understand PHB is
    recommending for PUSH-PULL-PULL.  It has been implemented in
    several places but has gotten very little traction in the mail
    sending and receiving community.  IMO, it ought to be incumbent
    on anyone proposing a different "get notification, then retrieve
    mail from server" model explain why their ideas will be more
    successful than that 20-odd-year-old MIME mechanism.

In a word - WebMail.

This is a classic confusion between software implementation and
operation, vesus networking architecture.

Webmail is nothing more than a particular style of user interface,
integrated into the operations of a particular service.  25-30 years
ago, Einar Stefferud labeled this a "split UI" mode, since part of the
mail user interface runs on the user's platform and part runs on the
server's.  It uses whatever homegrown UI-to-UI protocol the local
operator chooses, but otherwise is nothing but classic Internet Mail
architecture.

It's a useful operating mode, within its limits, which typically
includes requiring full-time connectivity.  As good as user access to
the Internet often is, requiring it all the time, for doing email, is a
pretty serious limitation.

More importantly, it isn't interoperable, in the sense we use the term
in the IETF, since it locks the user into the service provider for
literally everything.

There's no user ability to have a different MUA, different email
storage, different address book, different anything.   By having things
locked into the recipient's own email service provider, there is no way
to distribute out enhancements.

I agree with Dave on this point.  His note is especially meaningful
in this thread, because Phillip started it noting that: