RE: DMARC and ietf.org

2014-07-21 15:40:57
Comments in-line.

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf [mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of Hector
Santos
Sent: Monday, July 21, 2014 4:24 PM
To: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: DMARC and ietf.org

Mike,

There is no "pretending" here. We actually IMPLEMENTED and DEPLOYED the
consensus built MAILING LIST recommendations and it works.

The fact that you implemented and deployed does not mean that there is a
general consensus in the IETF sense.

So I disagree 100% with the erroneous suggestion there has been "no
consensus at all."  To suggest there is no guidelines whatsoever has been the
real disservice being promoted.  Its not true.

Guidleines != consensus.

It doesn't matter if its DMARC or ADSP. It the same design guidelines and if
you actually implemented it as list developer, you might see that its really
that simple.

The devil is always in the details. ADSP!=DMARC.

The old argument that List developers are too old to change doesn't wash
anymore and in reality, once you roll up your sleeves and implement the
consensus built suggestions, you will see it really has nothing to do with
list
services. It has to do with the VERIFIER.

Even John isn't arguing that list developers are too old to change. He is
questioning whether there is a consensus as to what changes or sets of changes
are appropriate.  The Verifier is the driver of the changes but even
representatives of (some) large mailbox providers have indicated that as
Verifiers they are interested in how problems in this space might be addressed.
As a 3rd party mailer, I got my organization to make changes in 2007 that
accommodate issues in this space. While I think the changes we made are the
optimal long term solution (including for MLMs), I recognize that there IS NOT
A CONSENSUS and that others have a preference for other approaches. It may be
that the community settles on a single "best" approach or that it recognizes
several alternative approaches.

So in short, I take slight offense to your suggestion that I have no
understanding of the total issues involved as a product developer, its product
offerings and also addressing the support needs of its customers which
represents a wide horizontal spectrum of applied list needs.  There are
solutions and I speak as a developer of a commercial integrated mail list
server product line:

I never said that you don't have an understanding of the issues involved. I did
say that you are incorrect when you claim that there is a community consensus
on how mailing lists should address problems in the context of DMARC assertions
by domains. I do not see a rush of others posting to support your assertion and
I do see evidence (previous discussions on this very list within the last 4
months) that contradict your assertion.

     http://www.santronics.com/products/winserver/ListServe.php

Note. This has nothing to do we have a "big data" problem (how to scale
signer authorization).  Its a serious problem. But the consensus built
guidelines provided are solid and necessary for any solution development.
You still need to honor the policies at the mail entry level.

--
HLS