Re: Best Effort Key Management (was Re: [saag] Last Call: <draft-dukhovni-opportunistic-security-01.txt>

2014-08-06 10:53:21
On Wed, 6 Aug 2014, Dave Crocker wrote:

  Best Effort Encryption

That's actually a pretty good term. It can range from better than
nothing (no key management, with fallback to clear) to mutually
authenticated encryption (key management, no fallback to clear). And
even include TOFU.

The biggest problem with Opportunistic Security I have is that security
is so much more than just encryption, but our current efforts against
pervasive monitoring are mostly about encryption and optionally (though
preferably) with some authentication.

Paul