Re: Last Call List was Re: Best tool to cut posts 6.25 inches square x 96 inches

2014-08-12 15:14:55
On 13/08/2014 02:32, Warren Kumari wrote:
Can someone please remind me what problem exactly we are trying to solve?

A full-on participant in the IETF will need to stay on this list
and join the last call list, so it isn't about mail volume.

Do we really think that the volume of LC comments are so large that
folk don't participate on -discuss? That there is so much faff on
discuss that folk cannot see the LC discussions?

I filter all messages with "last call" in the subject into a dedicated
inbox, so a dedicated list would be a slight convenience. I don't see
how anybody can manage their IETF mail without aggressive subject-based
filtering or threading.

There is significant value in having a general discussion list -- we
are, in theory, a community -- part of being part of a community
involves knowing the other folk, and building a shared ethos. -discuss
is, IMO, the closest we have to that. Things like PHB's Tardis
discussion didn't hurt anyone, and provided A: some education, B: some
chuckles, and C: an understanding of some other folks interests.

Yes. And I also have a filter called "ietf-silly-subj" which I update
whenever a really annoying thread breaks out...

  Brian