Re: Review of: Opportunistic Security -03 preview for comment

2014-08-15 18:30:59

Dave,

On 16/08/14 00:18, Dave Crocker wrote:
Opportunistic is about choices in encryption.

It is not about 'no encryption'.

I have only seen you espouse that opinion, which is not
what's in Viktor's draft. Presenting your views as if
those were generally accepted is somewhat distracting.

I myself believe that you are mistaken here and that any
opportunistic security approach has to allow for the
undesirable but potential fallback to no encryption for
some peers (hopefully few) to be viable. Without that
there would be too many failure cases that would hinder
interop and the OS approach would not be adopted as we
have seen over and over that better interop trumps
better security when those are in conflict.

Yes, that is a (reasonable) speculation. Its is also
independent of the term used.

S.