RE: Review of: Opportunistic Security -03 preview for comment

2014-08-15 21:21:53
Recognition that security doesn't have to be absolute, and that
security can still be useful for privacy etc even though it is often
incapable of being absolute, is, imo, a good thing, and a nicely
more nuanced approach than the security-ueber-alles approach
of recent years. The idea of the desire to communicate over and
above any demand or requirement for encryption is a pretty clear
user need.

(Oddly, no-encryption as a form of encryption was the DTNRG's preferred
approach to reliability. NULL cases are quite common, if only
for testing.)

I'd like to see this draft discuss http early on - redirecting any http
request to https (via 301/302/303/307 redirection) for login pages etc.
is transparent, opportunistic, and easy to do, and a widespread example
that gets the opportunistic idea across; I've explained this to Stephen
previously.

But implementing something this simple to support the underlying
philosophy is certainly not a 'protocol design pattern', which has to
be the wankiest phrasing I've seen in IETF circles in quite some time.

Lloyd Wood
http://about.me/lloydwood

Oooh! I'm not a draft author, I'm a protocol design pattern originator!