Re: Adept Encryption: Was: [saag] DANE should be more prominent (Re: Review of: Opportunistic Security -03 preview for comment)

2014-08-20 22:34:41
On 8/20/2014 6:18 PM, Stephen Farrell wrote:
Personally, I think the probability that we suddenly discover any
significantly better term is negligible. Not because OS is
super-good, but rather because nothing is super-good. And
good-enough should be good-enough here.

While there has been repeated, quick dismissal of alternative terms, I
don't recall seeing a careful consideration of candidates, with a clear
explanation for the choice(s) made, making clear why it is better (or
why its deficiencies are less onerous than those of the alternatives.)

The problems with 'opportunistic' and with 'security', relative to the
actual content of this draft, have been pointed out repeatedly.  They
are significant.

Rather than again casually waving away a suggested alternative, could we
see a summary consideration of choices, please?

In fact, I'd say so its so negligible that attempting to find such
(yet again, maybe for the 8th time?) is counterproductive.

This suggests a view that vocabulary choice does not matter all that
much.  For an audience of technical insiders, that's probably true.
Provide definitions and those folk will adjust.

For a wider audience, words carry quite a lot of baggage and so the
choice of terminology matters.

Confusing adept and adapt is an example of this latter case.

So is the considerable ambiguity of the word 'security'.

But that doesn't stop folks genuinely trying seemingly, I guess its
too tempting a windmill at which to tilt;-)

Here again, Stephen, one would not expect the cognizant AD to be so
readily directive and dismissive of points being raised seriously and by
a range of different contributors.

The mere fact that there is such a broad and persistent base of concern
with 'opportunistic security' warrants taking the issue far more seriously.

d/
--
Dave Crocker
Brandenburg InternetWorking