Re: gmail users read on...

2014-08-29 11:10:53
On 08/29/14 08:54, Ross Finlayson wrote:
I've also seen many people who keep a gmail or other mass market account
as a professional address knowing that they will move between
institutional addresses.  As companies come and go faster and people
transition between them more often, keeping a semi-permanent
professional contact point is a sound strategy.

Can these people really be confident that "gmail.com" will outlive their
professional life?  At the very least, they should use their own domain name
- even if they use a GMail or Yahoo Mail-type service to host their email.
(As an extra benefit - to keep this message on-topic - the email that they
send won't be subject to DMARC.)

They probably do not believe that gmail is forever, but they are one of
the best bets at the moment.  I'm not asserting that these people are
solving the IMHO impossible problem of "can I have an e-mail address
that lasts my lifetime?" but the problem of "how can I get a
quasi-permanent Internet presence for a reasonable investment?"  People
have widely differing values of "reasonable investment."  I think gmail
meets that criteria for a large set of professionals (especially those
who are not primarily networking professionals). Your mileage may vary,
and evidently does.

The fact that such services are useful is undeniable.  As is the fact that
"@yahoo.com" and "@gmail.com" email address look unprofessional.  They just
do.

I think that the assertion that anything "looks unprofessional" is a
subjective assertion.  My understanding is that facts are objective,
hence I don't consider such assertions facts.

You do what you think is best, though.

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: