Re: gmail users read on...

2014-08-29 11:03:06
I am a professional, but to the IETF lists (and other mailing list) I
subscribe via gmail because (i) the largest quota of gmail (ML, especial
open  source related ones,   can easily clog your mailbox) and (ii) I find
more convenient the "label" approach of gmail, rather the usual
"folder-based" approach.   In other words, gmail has features that the mail
of my university has not.

On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 5:54 PM, Ross Finlayson
<finlayson(_at_)live555(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I've also seen many people who keep a gmail or other mass market account
as a professional address knowing that they will move between
institutional addresses.  As companies come and go faster and people
transition between them more often, keeping a semi-permanent
professional contact point is a sound strategy.

Can these people really be confident that "gmail.com" will outlive their
professional life?  At the very least, they should use their own domain
name - even if they use a GMail or Yahoo Mail-type service to host their
email.  (As an extra benefit - to keep this message on-topic - the email
that they send won't be subject to DMARC.)

The fact that such services are useful is undeniable.  As is the fact that
"@yahoo.com" and "@gmail.com" email address look unprofessional.  They
just do.

        Ross.