Re: gmail users read on... [bozo subtopic]

2014-08-29 15:10:36
On 30/08/2014 03:00, Mary Barnes wrote:
On Fri, Aug 29, 2014 at 9:48 AM, Ross Finlayson
<finlayson(_at_)live555(_dot_)com>
wrote:

Gmail, like Yahoo and Hotmail and AOL, is sporadically useful for casual
purposes where mail transmission and receipt isn't terribly important.
But it's much too poorly operated to be acceptable for professional use.
Plus the fact that "@yahoo.com" and "@gmail.com" (etc.) serve as good
first-level 'Bozo Filters'.  DMARC serves as yet another reminder that
serious professionals should not be using such email addresses.

[MB] I guess I am a terribly unserious professional. You might consider
that some of us switched to gmail because corporate filters are often
TERRIBLE about periodically blocking email from IETF mailing lists. And,
trying to convince some of those 'Bozos' not to do so is a exercise in
futility.  If you're lucky, they'll provide you with a daily list of some
of the messages they've quarantined and you can then go and retrieve those.
  So, I've had a much better experience since I switched from using
corporate email for professional use to gmail for 'unserious' professional
use.
[/MB]

Exactly. Since I switched to gmail for IETF traffic, I have changed
employers, retired, un-retired and moved countries three times, with
a stable email environment and no need to fight any corporate or ISP
policies. The threat of DMARC hassle is the first real problem I've had.

   Brian