Re: gmail users read on... [technical subtopic]

2014-08-29 15:05:08
On 30/08/2014 02:53, Michael Richardson wrote:
Brian E Carpenter <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > I hate to bring this topic up again but people should perhaps be aware
    > that some legitimate IETF mail is now being automatically spam filtered
    > for gmail recipients. Here is an anonymized version of what I just wrote
    > to someone.

    > Be aware that as a result of corporate IT decisions at your company and
    > at Google, your mail to IETF lists is being forcibly tagged as spam for
    > gmail recipients.

    > 1) Example is announcing DMARC p=reject policy:

    > _dmarc.example.com   text =

    > "v=DMARC1; p=reject; sp=reject"

    > 2) gmail asserts a DMARC failure when your mail has been forwarded
    > by an IETF list such as XYZ:

So, it classifies as spam, but it doesn't reject?

Correct. gmail appears to treat p=reject as p=quarantine,
so the unintended side effect is only a false positive, not
a bounce.

So the gmail user isn't being kicked off the list, at this point?

That issue would affect the user at example.com (whose domain specifies
p=reject)

   Brian