Re: Status of RFC 20 (was: Re: Gen-ART and OPS-Dir review of draft-ietf-json-text-sequence-09)

2014-12-18 22:48:24

--On Thursday, December 18, 2014 16:05 -0800 Ned Freed
<ned(_dot_)freed(_at_)mrochek(_dot_)com> wrote:

Actually, RFC 20 says, in its very first sentence,
"...standard 7-bit ASCII embedded in an 8 bit byte whose high
order bit is always 0".   Unless I'm missing something, that
is a mapping from a CCS (although ASCII defined those
integers in Column/Row form rather than as single integers)
and a CES.

Yep, it's essentially a CES. The only thing missing is the
definition of the US-ASCII charset name.

 So, possibly
modulo references to different versions of ASCII (I don't have
time to check whether the Charset definition for US-ASCII
points to the same version of US-ASCII that RFC 20 does), RFC
20 and US-ASCII are more than just "essentially" the same".

The CCSs appear identical to me. There may be some subtle
difference in how some control is defined in the ANSI
documents versus RFC 20, but that's getting pretty picky.

If one pays attention only to the CCS and ignores character
semantics (as you note, especially for  C0 characters in columns
0 and 1), ASCII is unchanged from the time of its first
publication, i.e., stable both before and after RFC 20.

   john