Re: Strong objection to draft-ietf-WG-*.all noise levels

2015-02-09 16:50:16
On 2/9/15 2:11 PM, Robert Sparks wrote:
I _think_ the conversation you need to be having to address your objection is with the IESG on the decision to add the group to the default notification list.

That's fair. Speaking as one of the folks involved in the change:

The IESG, in part at the behest of the community, wanted to (by default) make sure that IESG ballots were copied to the WG mailing list instead of being a private conversation between the authors, the chairs, and the IESG, invisible to anyone else in the community. Seeing the ballots can always be turned off on a case-by-case basis, but it seemed better to have that as default instead of having to remember to turn it on on a case-by-case basis.

Now, the mechanism used to accomplish that (adding the WG to the .notify alias, which in turn adds it to the .all alias) sends *all* notifications regarding a document to the WG by default. Perhaps we want to change that.

Are there particular notifications that you *don't* want copied to the WG? Or maybe more to the point, are there notifications that you *do* want copied to the WG?

We'll work with the tools folks to make the right thing happen.

pr

Qualcomm Technologies, Inc. - +1 (858)651-4478