Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

2015-02-11 02:55:11
On Sun, Jan 11, 2015 at 12:11 PM, Allison Mankin
<allison(_dot_)mankin(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I like Michael's original suggestion that there should be two meetings in
the last five and if there is not a third, then meeting some other
requirement, a choice of things like attended lots of past meetings, has a
defined role in a wg, ...

Others have noted this, but the two important goals of these criteria are:

Has attained a (minimal)  level of familiarity with IETF

Has a probability of attending in person for the Nomcom activities

Michael has crystallized in other posts the fact that Nomcom really needs
the in person time in order to work together, and IETF teally, critically
needs full attendance if Nomcom during the meeting(s) with interviews,
especially November, for the candidate interviews.

Having served on the last two NomComs, I have to say I agree with these
points, especially the in-person one.  NomCom would be pretty hard to do
remotely.  I know we're making great strides in remote participation in
working groups, but those are very open things while NomCom is not.
There's a lot of value in being available just walking around the hallways
when serving as a NomCom member, something that can't be done quite as
easily when you're far away.

-MSK