Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

2015-02-11 21:49:17

   mcr> So anyone can upload at any time.  If the WG takes your document on,
   mcr> then the datatracker clearly knows this, so that part is easy to check.
   mcr> If you draft-author- is scheduled, this will require some additional
   mcr> datatracker effort for the WG chairs to indicate that your document
   mcr> goes into
   mcr> the agenda... but, I we wanted to be able to track which documents were
   mcr> discussed into which WG anyway for all sorts of reasons, so I think
   mcr> that his
   mcr> work will already happen.

Ted Lemon <Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > I worry that this criterion will result in people being even more
    > aggressive about scheduling talks on documents that were never
    > discussed on the mailing list.

I too worried about that when I wrote it.

I then considered that this is a form of gaming the system, and if the chairs
are participating in it, then this is a problem.  This gaming occurs now
without any (nomcom-eligible) reward, and I think it has other root causes,
which if we could discover we could address.

Or to put it differently: we already have this problem, and we already need
to fix it.

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software Works
 -= IPv6 IoT consulting =-