Re: Updating BCP 10 -- NomCom ELEGIBILITY

2015-02-11 15:30:20
On 12/02/2015 09:48, Michael Richardson wrote:

Brian E Carpenter <brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
    > Being geeks, we have a tendency to invent solutions that
    > are theoretically wonderful but quite impractical. The current
    > 3/5 rule avoids that and is fairly easy to check algorithmically.

    > I think we need to keep that simplicity as much as possible. So
    > something like the following might work.

    > Either
    > 3 out of the last 5 meetings
    > or
    > 3 out of the last 10 meetings and (RFC author or WG Chair or AD in the
    > last 5 years)

When you say "RFC author", I guess you mean something which went through the
process to get a number.  I guess that means that having your name on the
front page now has more significant value now.   If two IDs merge, now it
matters who is an editor, and who is in "Contributors" at the end...

I would like to know why my previous list was too long or unclear?

For me there is an over-arching consideration: a relatively simple
script must be able to generate the list of all qualified volunteers
from existing databases. Otherwise the whole process will be
impractical.

Inevitably that results in a somewhat blunt instrument.

   Brian

I specifically listed:

  0) attend the meeting in person.

  1) be a document shepherd or working group chair on a document
     that entered AUTH48.

"WG chair" was listed above, and I added "that entered AUTH48", because I
wanted to deal with the possible way to game things where a WG is created as
a sinecure. No dead WG.  It's the act of going through AUTH48 that I care
about, not who you were. [The authors of the document get caught by 2]

And I included shepherd, because I want to provide more opportunities for
more people; if you attend meetings rarely, you are unlikely to be visible to
ADs for selection as an WG chair, but shepherds are in short supply.
And all the above things are trivially checked in the datatracker.

  2) be the document uploader (pressed submit) on a document that
     was scheduled into a WG session.

So anyone can upload at any time.  If the WG takes your document on,
then the datatracker clearly knows this, so that part is easy to check.
If you draft-author- is scheduled, this will require some additional
datatracker effort for the WG chairs to indicate that your document goes into
the agenda... but, I we wanted to be able to track which documents were
discussed into which WG anyway for all sorts of reasons, so I think that his
work will already happen.

  3) opened a ticket on a document that was scheduled into a WG session.

While the Issue tracker is not well integrated into the datatracker, I know
that many want it to be, and also that many want many other improvements.
Again, knowing that an issue was discussed at a WG session is pretty
important thing to track, I think... so really the datatracker OUGHT to know
this.

  4) scribed for the I* telechats.

This requires secretariat/I* action to confirm, and is frankly probably my
least interesting way.

Now, I can see how "AD" could make one eligible, and how an AD after a 6
year term, could easily become non-eligible having taken a break. But:

     I don't like AD this way because it looks too much like the previous
     IESG is selecting the new IESG. Yeah, random selection.

     Since former ADs are well known, often well spoken (thus causing them to
     write IDs), and are often asked to join directorates and do reviews
     (therefore opening issues), and might even be really really good
     shepherds...  I prefer rules about what you do, not who you are/were.

]     mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby
on rails    [

--
Michael Richardson <mcr+IETF(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca>, Sandelman Software
Works