Re: Updating BCP 10 -- round two

2015-02-11 15:07:37
At 11:44 AM 2/11/2015, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
In theory the idea of trying to recognize a broader class of sufficiently
involved participants sounds good.
The details did not seem to work for me, but I am happy to wait and see the
next version of a specific proposal.

This is a useful goal.  A more important goal is to have a good Nomcom result.
The connection between this goal and the one you stated is not a foregone
conclusion.

One of the things I'm seeing in this discussion is a volunteer centric "I can't
participate because I didn't meet the requirements, so lower the requirements"
cry for consideration.   I'm not sure that's a valid consideration and I don't
know how it meets contributes to the "good Nomcom result" goal.

Dave C and others have talked about how to get more qualified Nomcom members
for some definition of "more qualified" and I'd spend time on that topic if
someone could actually explain what other qualifications made sense.

The current quals of 3 of 5 meetings are at least objective and quantifiable,
and have at least some relevance to the "knowledge of the IETF process is good
for Nomcom members" meme.   Any other qualification requirements should ideally
be objective and quantifiable and have some relationship to the above.

Later Mike