Re: Sam's text and way forward on the last call of draft-farrresnickel-harassment-05.txt

2015-03-19 12:49:50
On 03/19/2015 08:01, Eliot Lear wrote:
You asked, Jari.

The more power you vest in someone the more they should be accountable
to the community.  Removing someone from an activity is a pretty
momentous activity.  Making ADs unable to function as ADs or WG chairs
unable to function as chairs is a big deal.  It may impact peoples'
livelihoods.  The same holds for people who are intimidated or harassed
into taking actions they would not otherwise take.  The community needs
to be able to hold people accountable for those decisions (or lack thereof).

I think this is an important principle to preserve.  I don't know that I
want to go as far as Mike St. Johns is suggesting, but his position has
considerable merit as well.

Even in institutions with strict chains of command/authority it is
difficult to put meaningful, fair procedures in place to handle
harassment.  For them to be meaningful and fair in the IETF you have to
connect the authority to the community as Eliot is underlining above.

--
Ted Faber
http://www.isi.edu/~faber           PGP: