perspective of discussion about I-D.farresnickel-harassment

2015-03-22 11:59:01
Would it be possible for everyone posting about this draft to
consider - for even just a day - that he or she might in fact
be the SUBJECT of the harassment - instead of trying to
figure out how to game the system assuming that he is
an unrepentant respondent.

While the joke goes that "true friends help you bury the body",
I earnestly hope that we aren't trying to figure out how people
can successfully accomplish manslaughter and not have it
raise to the level of murder - nor pretending that the SUBJECT
of the harassment isn't the one wrongfully impacted.

For once, consider that if you don't know anyone who has been
harassed (not necessarily at the IETF) and have not been
harassed - then (a) you PROBABLY aren't listening or asking
the right questions and (b) you aren't the focus of why this needs
to be handled.

If your concern is that you might obliviously misstep and be called
out on it - then yes - you may - and you may actually need to think
about it beforehand or learn from it afterwards.  Welcome to life.

To quote another stereotyped saying:  "Women are afraid of being
physically hurt.  Men are afraid of being embarrassed."  Enough
already!  I'm already embarrassed for you and your lack of perspective.

Regards,
Alia