Re: perspective of discussion about I-D.farresnickel-harassment

2015-03-22 12:24:56
On Sun, Mar 22, 2015 at 1:11 PM, Ted Lemon
<Ted(_dot_)Lemon(_at_)nominum(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Mar 22, 2015, at 11:58 AM, Alia Atlas <akatlas(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:
If your concern is that you might obliviously misstep and be called
out on it - then yes - you may - and you may actually need to think
about it beforehand or learn from it afterwards.  Welcome to life.

Thanks for saying this, Alia.   I've been feeling a bit frustrated by this
conversation too, and not sure how to articulate that.   I think you've hit
the nail on the head.   When I think about this topic, I definitely
consider myself more likely to unwittingly (I hope!) engage in some kind of
bad behavior that would result in censure than being the subject of such
bad behavior.   However, I would _much_ rather be taken aside and have that
pointed out to me than continue it or "get away" with it.

That is the point of this effort: not to make anybody miserable, but to
notice when things are going off the rails and put a stop to it before it
really gets bad.   We are quite capable of improving this through
successive approximation, whereas I don't think we can get it perfect on
the first try.  We can't afford to just keep talking about it forever.

I agree with Alia as well and will just add exposing the respondent could
expose the subject, an important consideration.

--

Best regards,
Kathleen