Re: comments on newly generated html draft format and font sizes

2015-04-22 08:42:17
Hi Micke,

On 2015-04-22 14:26, Mikael Abrahamsson wrote:

Hi,

I don't know where to turn, so I'll send email here.

Ok.  For the future, anything that has to do with content on the tools
server should go to either wembaster(_at_)tools(_dot_)ietf(_dot_)org or
henrik(_at_)levkowetz(_dot_)com.
(It will end up on my plate in any case).

I am reading two documents:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-04
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-02

The last one was created in in the past day or so. I noticed that it was
in a much larger font size than other IETF html documents. I looked into
the source, and the first one has "font-size: 1em;" in body {} and the
last one has "font-size: 12pt;". I don't know if that's actually is the
right place to look, but that's the one I found.

I am not an expert in HTML and CSS, but "1em" seems to result in a better
expected result for me than "12pt".

I use latest Chrome on OSX 10.10.3. If I resize the 12pt document to my
liking, now the "1em" is too small, and the other way around. This is
really painful when trying to read two documents that are referring to
each other and switching between them.

Agreed.  So, when I first set up the HTML converter for drafts and RFCs,
about 10 years ago, screen DPI was such that the documents served /without/
a point (pt) size mostly displayed on screen in the size I believe
people today will experience with the '12pt' documents.  What prompted
me to start changing this over was that the documents /without/ a point
size displayed so disgustingly small on smaller devices, like tablets.

The intention is to apply a point setting consistently to all the
htmlized documents on tools.ietf.org; the process of converting a document
is however sufficiently CPU-intensive that a bulk conversion of all ~165000
documents will take time.  Till now I've let it to progress at the rate
I renew the conversion by default, which should have them all done in about
20 days.

If I take the "12pt" document and do "view source", I get the text in the
same size as the "1em" documents. It thus seems to me that at least Chrome
defaults to 1em and for some reason treats "12pt" differently.

I like the old format better, the 12pt documents just defaults to too big
text for me.

I'd like to hear from other people.  The choice of 12pt for today's devices
can definitely be changed; please let me know if you have a preference for
a different point size.

The effect of having two different sizes is transient.  I'll see if I can
speed it up, but it's /not/ going to be a permanent misfeature.

If I look at the txt versions (change /html/ to /id/) then they are the
same text size as the "1em;" versions.

So to summarize:

https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-02.txt
https://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-04.txt
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-hncp-04

all have the same font size on my screen (including following each other
when I do cmd + and cmd - in one of them).

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-homenet-dncp-02

is a few font sizes bigger. Could someone please look into this, it
doesn't seem optimal to me?

Understood.  Sorry I didn't hit the sweet spot for you in the first go.

Best regards,

        Henrik