Re: comments on newly generated html draft format and font sizes

2015-04-23 00:52:18
Subject: Re: comments on newly generated html draft format and font sizes Date:
Wed, Apr 22, 2015 at 07:09:33PM +0200 Quoting Henrik Levkowetz
(henrik(_at_)levkowetz(_dot_)com):
Hi Joel,

On 2015-04-22 18:06, Henrik Levkowetz wrote:
Hi Joel,

On 22 Apr 2015, at 17:49, Joel M. Halpern <jmh(_at_)joelhalpern(_dot_)com>
wrote:

I have to agree that 12pt produces too large a default.  Is there an easy
way for me as a user to experiment with what 10pt would look like, so I
can comment on that?  And is there an easy way for me to try that size on
my phone, to see if it seems equally readable there?

I'll set up a bunch of sample pages for you to try out.

Here are links to pages set up with 9pt, 10pt, 11pt and 12pt:

      https://tools.ietf.org/pt/

I've gone through the list and find the 9pt size most suitable for laptop
(rMBP15 with Chrome ) and low-end desktop (Ubuntu running Firefox with
1280x1024 resolution on a 17" 4x3 aspect ratio screen. The others are
obnoxiously large. Comparing to some of my own web pages that discard such
print-age anachronisms as point size; instead dictating relative sizes,
I find that the 10pt probably matches those best, so I'm probably a bit
of a small-fonter.

On my hand-portable devices, all font sizes are too small for me to read,
so I must zoom the page to get to readability. The point specification
thus is pointless. (pun intended post facto) There, the web browser
(Chrome something on screens between 5" and 7") probably is at fault
for not auto-zooming to fit to margins. Perhaps it is a setting I missed.

Having said that, and given input as requested, I feel that I must state
that I'm

Pro Primo: completely flabbergasted by the idea of forcing point sizes
on readers. This is the bag of tricks used by advertising and design
agencies nostalgic for the printed page; and I feel it does not belong
on web pages published by a group of people that IMNSHO ought to try to
eat dogfood.

Pro Secundo: used to have lived in the false belief that setting point
sizes was something of the "Under Construction" animated gif Web 1.0
(with BLINK tags) and not really cool in the CSS era. Apparently I've
viewed too little source.

Thus, I oppose the change; relative should return. The reader should
decide. The page creator can impossibly keep up with all wishes and
devices and preferences. Better to hint than dictate.

--
Måns Nilsson     primary/secondary/besserwisser/machina
MN-1334-RIPE                             +46 705 989668