Re: Fwd: I-D Action: draft-carpenter-whats-an-author-00.txt

2015-04-28 13:43:30
Brian,

This document is long overdue, and I appreciate your tackling it.

There are some additional issues that you should address explicitly,
IMO. Some are discussed on various authorship guideline pages, such as:
http://www.apa.org/research/responsible/publication/

IMO, it might be useful to cite a few of them as they help underscore
that you're basically expecting our community to follow generally
accepted best-practices for attribution.

The issues I didn't yet see discussed:

        - including authorship for a key intellectual contribution,
        e.g., a mechanism, algorithm, etc.
                the doc currently focuses on written text, diagrams,
                and code, but there are contributions beyond that

        - excluding authorship primarily motivated by only:

                - funding support (giving author to a financial
                        sponsor only because of their financial
                        support)

                - placation (giving authorship as a "cookie" to
                        gain consensus or overcome objection)

                - promotion (giving authorship to improve the
                        credibility or reputation of the doc)

                - work or WG relationship (giving authorship to
                        a supervisor, academic advisor, etc.)

I do think the negative examples are important. Dancing around the issue
doesn't help.

Joe

This is intended to frame the discussion we've been having.
Comments/criticisms welcome.

   Brian