Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-02 15:11:30
On 2 Jul 2015, at 13:46, John C Klensin wrote:

I also think there are some other identifiers that might be
equally or more appropriate.  People who favor them should
probably have a discussion with the RSE (and, as needed, the
IAB), about whether it would be appropriate to support their
preferred identifiers too.  If the answer is "yes", start
writing.    If it is "no", then, well, that would make a much
more interesting discussion for this list, at least for me.

With both my RSOC and IAB hats on, I'm completely open to other identifier schemes being added in the future. I think a similar bar to what we've set for DOIs would apply:

- A significant number of people would find value in the identifiers being assigned
- The cost is reasonable
- The technical approach is well-specified

For DOIs, the case made regarding the benefits was persuasive, particularly by the academic contributors to the IETF and IRTF. Make a case for your identifier scheme roughly as good as that for DOIs, and we can explore from there. I'll even help you frame your arguments if you like - send me a mail off-list or approach me in Prague.

--
Joe Hildebrand