Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-09 14:16:42
On 7/9/15 11:00 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
On the contrary, having DOIs without having URNs does tremendous harm
to an established IETF standard that is actually in wide use (though
not widely used in the same circles that use DOIs).

I'm not sure that I'd agree that it does "tremendous" harm but
it does look awfully peculiar.  How much effort would actually
be required for the IETF to provide a resolution service for URNs?

I am not opposed to adding DOIs to RFCs but I suspect that this
would all have gone much more smoothly if the RSE had simply said
"DOIs are widely-used bibliographic identifiers and we think we
should assign them, too" or if the draft had come from the RFC
editor herself.  Turning this into an IAB document and including
overblown claims about what's gained by adding them were unnecessary -
doing this in a straightforward way would, I think, have produced more
straightforward discussion and results.

The URN situation is a problem but I really don't think it should be
gating.

Melinda