Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-09 18:23:13
On 7/9/2015 4:05 PM, Joel M. Halpern wrote:
Interesting comment on the authoring.  I believe that according to our
own stated policies, it would be wrong to list the RSE as an Author. She
did not write the words.

We list authors who did not 'write the words' all the time.

The policy I found is:

     RFC Series Editor statement on authorship

     http://www.rfc-editor.org/pipermail/rfc-interest/2015-May/008869.html

It has conflicting text.

The high-level policy text is:

     "responsible for the technical content of the document"

which is entirely reasonable language and matches long-standing
practice, whereas the text you are presumably citing is:

     "If the development of a document has been
delegated or subcontracted, the authors are the person(s) doing the
actual writing, not the person(s) delegating or subcontracting the work."

is not.  I think we are demonstrating a basic problem with this latter,
arbitrary and overly-fine-grained rule.

d/
--
Dave Crocker