Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-09 18:24:37
On 7/9/15 2:59 PM, Dave Crocker wrote:
It might be worth stating this in the affirmative:  The URN situation is
entirely independent of the DOI situation and it is important to handle
the two topics entirely separately.

I don't think they're entirely independent.  It seems to me
that the question of why we're not providing resolution
services or indexing URNs is somewhat different from the question
of why we're not providing resolution services or indexing URNs
when we're paying money and cycles to provide indexing and access
using some other bibliographic identifier.  One looks like an
oversight or constrained resources, the other suggests that
we're thinking about bibliographic identifiers and have the
money to support their assignment but are going with DOIs.

Melinda