Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-02 05:30:40

DOIs are the opposite of what the IETF works for: the technical
standard is not freely available (88 swiss francs and I cannot
redistribute it), not developed in an open way, and it is managed by
an opaque private corporation (what about <https://open-stand.org/>).

So you would oppose the use of (say) ASN.1 in RFCs, not because of
its complexity but because the specification is not available under
comparable license to that of RFCs?

I'm curious to understand if your opposition to DOIs is fundamentally
different from similar discussions we've had in the IETF over the
years concerning reference to non-free specifications.

        Cheers Leif