Re: Call for comment: <draft-iab-doi-04.txt> (Assigning Digital Object Identifiers to RFCs)

2015-07-03 19:30:20
Can you explain where such a suggestion is made?  As to the form that
comes AFTER the prefix, THAT is worthy of discussion, but that indeed
may be too late.

As I note in the draft, the part after the prefix is opaque.  The DOIs
that the ACM assigns are two numbers that have no connection to
anything else I can figure out.  The IEEE uses some combination of a
short abbreviation of the journal name, the year, and a sequence
number that does not tell you what issue the article is in.

In retrospect, rather than making them look like RFC numbers I should
have used a pseudo-random 10 digit hash of the date, authors, and
document title so people would stop complaining about RFC123 vs.
RFC0123.

R's,
John