Re: Single virtual queue (was Re: Pink Squares)

2015-07-27 12:07:56

--On Monday, July 27, 2015 18:27 +0300 Yoav Nir
<ynir(_dot_)ietf(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

We keep complaining that people are reading email on their
laptops or phones instead of participating in the discussion.
Now we will make it so that you can't put the screen away to
better engage in the discussion. And while you're looking at
the screen, you get all sort of notifications about emails,
text messages. I think having the local participants use a web
interface is a net loss for the discussion.

Indeed.   It probably qualifies me for Luddite status, but I've
often wondered whether the quality of our meetings would be
improved if we gave the chairs, scribes, etc. wired connections
and then got rid of WiFi in the meeting rooms.  It would create
some incentive to pay attention or, for those who aren't
interested, to leave and go where they could do email, etc.  In
plenaries, people who a sufficient case of Bad Attitude could
just walk out, presumably sending a strong message to whomever
is in the front of the room and/or whomever was responsible for
them being there and whatever Nomcom members were present and
paying attention.

Yes, I can think of downsides too and think that we have formed
strong enough habits that it is probably too late to seriously
consider it... but it is an interesting thought.

   john