Re: What is the IPR policy for Hackathon? RE: [94all] IETF 94 - Hackathon Information

2015-09-09 17:16:22
On 10/09/2015 09:15, Sam Hartman wrote:
"Brian" == Brian E Carpenter
<brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

    Brian> If somebody wants to provide their hackathon code to the
    Brian> IETF, they could submit an Internet Draft whose body consists
    Brian> of their code, between <CODE BEGINS> and <CODE ENDS>. Then it
    Brian> becomes an IETF contribution with a Simplified BSD licence,
    Brian> as I understand the IETF Trust's legal provisions.

No, I think you're wrong.
I think marking something as code has nothing to do with the rights that
 the IETF gets, it only affects whether the rest of the world can
 actually use our contributions  in open-source contexts.

Oh sure: but putting it under Simplified BSD allows the IETF tools team
and the Secretariat to use it, just like anyone else.

    Brian