RE: [hackathon] What is the IPR policy for Hackathon? RE: [94all] IETF 94 - Hackathon Information

2015-09-19 01:37:57
Jari,

Sure, the individual should figure it out with his/her affiliation, but the
organizers of Hackathon could give some warn/remind in advance, just like Note
Well, to participant.

I believe this is more needed than Note Well, considering there are 10+
projects/Hackathon technology for each Hackathon. Also, the projects vary from
a Hackathon to another with different license and membership model.

BTW, I wish all Hackathon technology, that is developed within Hackathon
without dependency to external body, would apply IETF IPR and membership rule.
That will be much more convenient to participants.

- Miao

-----Original Message-----
From: Jari Arkko [mailto:jari(_dot_)arkko(_at_)piuha(_dot_)net]
Sent: Saturday, September 19, 2015 1:09 PM
To: Miaofuyou (Miao Fuyou)
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org; hackathon(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: [hackathon] What is the IPR policy for Hackathon? RE: [94all]
IETF 94 - Hackathon Information

I agree it is a reasonable principle. But I still have a question.

IETF is individual based, however, not all open source project/community
are individual based. Probably IPR rules of some of them are more adapted
to organization membership, for example, it may require the member to
license the member's patent for free, which match the contributed code by
this member's employees. Put such open source project under Hackathon
environment, who is the member for the project, IETF or the individual's
affiliation? Is the Hackathon participant qualified to write code on or
contribute it, if his/her affiliation is not a member of that
project/community?
etc...

Probably we could have a guideline for selection of open source project for
Hackathon, or add some note (complementary to Note Well at Hackathon)
to remind the project specific IPR rule to participants to make sure they are
aware of it.

Those are good questions.

I don't have a ready thought out answer for them. It would seem though
that it is easier and probably necessary for an individual to work it out with
his or her affiliation whether contribution to a particular open source
project
is possible, and what it might mean for the organisation. That is certainly
how it works in the corporate environments that I am familiar with.

Jari