Re: PGP security models, was Summary of IETF LC for draft-ietf-dane-openpgpkey

2015-09-24 09:06:17
On Thu, Sep 24, 2015 at 8:02 AM, robert
<robert(_dot_)w(_dot_)withers(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

I've sort of been following this discussion, not being too familiar with
thinking about PGP. I did an S/MIME impl awhile back.

I would like to propose adding 2 features:
a. add a registry family that is self-signed and the members form a quorum
for election and the family cert is distributed across many registries and
there is eventual consistency.
b. use a blockchain to make eventually consistent and authenticate the
quorum of members of a self-signed family cert, published to global
registry.

I think you blockchain the self-signed, globally published family cert
which contains quorum approval of additions and revocations of certs
produced by this self-signed family cert with CA ability. I think that's
secure without 3rd party CA/RevokeCertList (if IIIRC it's name).

Do you think my proposal has merit?

Take a look at this, it gives a mathematical framework for that sort of
approach:

https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hallambaker-prismproof-trust-01

The Meta Mathematical Mesh is intended to work in that way. Just finishing
some code and producing initial specs.