mailman [was: Google threatens to break Gmail]

2015-10-22 11:24:05
Russ Housley wrote:
There is an easy answer to this, that we discussed on this list over a year ago
- just bring mailman up to a more recent revision. It can handle DMARC
re-writing just fine.

My understanding is that we are using Mailman 2.1.15.  Mailman 2.1.20 and 3.0.0
are available.  We have not asked the Secretariat to reviewed every change, but
I am told that they are comfortable that Mailman 2.1.20 is fine.  We have not
looked at Mailman 3.0.0 at all.

Versions of Mailman beyond 2.1.15 have no capacity for sending out password
reminders; it was removed.  Brian, you have loudly argued for this capability
to be retained.

It seems to me that DMARC re-writing is a more important feature for this
community.  I think we should drop support for the password messages and move
to a newer version.  I'd like the tools team to check this out, and then if the
newer version will not introduce other surprises, move to the newer version.

Russ

Or, one might consider a switch to a different list manager entirely. Sympa is really excellent for handling large numbers of lists, handles DMARC issues, doesn't send cleartext password reminders, is incredibly well supported.

Just a thought,

Miles Fidelman