Re: Google threatens to break Gmail

2015-10-22 14:41:09
On 23/10/2015 02:57, Russ Housley wrote:

There is an easy answer to this, that we discussed on this list over a year
ago - just bring mailman up to a more recent revision. It can handle DMARC
re-writing just fine.

My understanding is that we are using Mailman 2.1.15.  Mailman 2.1.20 and
3.0.0 are available.  We have not asked the Secretariat to reviewed every
change, but I am told that they are comfortable that Mailman 2.1.20 is fine.
We have not looked at Mailman 3.0.0 at all.

Versions of Mailman beyond 2.1.15 have no capacity for sending out password
reminders; it was removed.  Brian, you have loudly argued for this capability
to be retained.

Yes, but amazingly enough I lost that battle. It's a PITA, but one that can be
lived with.

It seems to me that DMARC re-writing is a more important feature for this
community.  I think we should drop support for the password messages and move
to a newer version.  I'd like the tools team to check this out, and then if
the newer version will not introduce other surprises, move to the newer
version.

The primitive rewriting of the From is a bug in itself, because it destroys
important information (who sent the message, even if they are a non-subscriber).
What John Levine describes is hopeful, but it would be nice to have some
assurance
from Google that they will actually wait until it's available before changing
their DMARC policy.

    Brian