Re: We need an architecture, not finger pointing.

2015-10-30 19:08:47
On 10/28/2015 03:14 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Oct 28, 2015, at 3:27 PM, Viktor Dukhovni
<ietf-dane(_at_)dukhovni(_dot_)org
In order for this to work, when I connect to my maildrop, my maildrop
has to immediately connect to ietf.org <http://ietf.org> when it sees
RCPT TO: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org <mailto:ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>. ....

Which can no happen in some sites with firewalls or ISPs. The ISP I use
at home decided to block all access in or out to port 25. Did not tell
me. I had to figure it out. That's how they decided to slow down
outgoing spam. I changed my outgoing system configuration. And some
sites use an smtp proxy to send out email. You will not have a clue if
they queue before sending. No direct connection allowed and they do not
tell you.

Some sites translate internal email addresses to/from internal ones as
they traverse the firewall. This happened at Sun, Inside Sun I was
dougr(_at_)pitts(_dot_)eng(_dot_)sun(_dot_)com, to the outside world I was
Doug(_dot_)Royer(_at_)Sun(_dot_)com.

Whatever the solution it has to be some kind of identity proof without
regard to routing.

--

Doug Royer - (http://K7DMR.us / http://DougRoyer.US)
DouglasRoyer(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com