Re: Argentina with tourist visa ?

2015-12-18 05:01:49
Jaap,

On 12/18/15 11:40 AM, Jaap Akkerhuis wrote:
What really would help is that people take there own responsibility
and find out whatever is needed in their situation. It is silly to
expect that the IETF meeting organisers become experts on the various
visa rules worldwide.

I'm sorry if my words were unclear.  I never asked the organizers to
"become experts on the various visa rules world wide", although they
probably already are (see further on).  My point was that as part of the
preparation process, someone simply contact a foreign ministry to
develop a short document on visa and entry requirements.  This is
*commonly* done for all sorts of meetings.  While you may be a very
seasoned traveler, others are not, and unlike you may make the
occasional mistake due to confusion such as we have here.  Also,
different countries view the term "business" differently, as others have
pointed out.  As I wrote, it is not uncommon for Ray and friends to have
to engage governments on the back end of this process. It may save time
and effort to do so on the front end, and in fact, I would imagine some
of this already happens.  Finally, if the secretariat did this we could
stop having these discussions, and return to more fruitful conversation.

Eliot