Re: IETF turns 30

2016-01-14 18:01:18

--On Thursday, January 14, 2016 15:48 +0100 Eliot Lear
<lear(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

Hi Dan,

On 1/14/16 11:50 AM, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
Happy Birthday!

So, at IETF 1 the following areas of concern were identified:

IETF Areas of Concern -
o Protocol Development and Stabilization,
o Protocol Conformance,
o An Implementors Support Organization,
o Internet Performance Measurements,
o ISO Conversion.

Only one of them seems clearly out of scope 30 years after.

As I recall, the interesting thing about the last bullet when
I started in the IETF just a little later was that there was
general industry agreement that such a conversion was needed.
The only debate was over which direction it should occur.

Whatever debate you are referring to, the IETF wasn't having it.
We didn't retire the "OSI Integration" Area (with Erik Huizer
and Dave Piscitello as the last two co-chairs) until circa IETF
25 in November 1992 and my recollection is that it was clear
until not long before that that the plan was to get Internet
applications and upper layers running over an OSI substrate.
By the time the area was finally shut down (and most or all of
the remaining WGs folded into Applications, with Eric moving
over), the goal was clearly to figure out which OSI applications
were in use and/or likely to be worth anything going forward and
get them to work over TCP and/or IP.

--On Thursday, January 14, 2016 15:33 +0100 Alexandre Petrescu